As part of the process to continuously improve the athletic experience for our student-athletes, Eaton High School will be implementing the ImPACT Concussion Management System starting this fall. This opportunity has been made available to Eaton High School by the Orthopaedic & Spine Center of The Rockies. All student-athletes participating in a sport will be required to take the pre-test before they are allowed to participate in official practice.
What is ImPACT?
ImPACT (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) is the most scientifically validated computerized neurocognitive test used by more than 7,400 high schools and 1,000 colleges and universities to help evaluate and manage suspected concussions. Since 2006, over 7.5 million individuals have taken the test.
2 Test Forms:
- Baseline Test – Administered by a MD, RN, or ATC before the start of a sport season. Scores are collected & stored on our HIPAA compliant server. ImPACT recommends re-administering the baseline test every two years.
- Post-Injury Test – Administered by a licensed healthcare provider when a concussion is suspected. Test results are compared to baseline scores and/or normative data scores as part of a healthcare provider’s assessment of the injury. Multiple post-injury tests may be given to an individual during the course of treatment and rehabilitation.
How ImPACT Works:
- 25-minute computerized, online test for ages 12-59
- Delivered via a secure web portal
- Taken via a computer that has an internet connection and a mouse
- Administered in the presence of a physician, nurse, athletic trainer
- Only a licensed healthcare provider can administer an ImPACT post-injury test
- Results interpreted by a licensed healthcare provider
What does ImPACT measure?
The test tracks a student’s symptoms and measures multiple aspects of cognitive functioning, including attention span, working memory, sustained and selective attention time, non-verbal problem solving, and reaction time.
We are extremely excited to have the ImPACT testing as a part of our concussion management system at Eaton High School. Kate Farner (ProActive) and Alan Parker (Athletic Trainer) will be proctoring the baseline testing on the following dates and times:
Monday, August 7: 8:00- 9:00, 9:00- 10:00
Tuesday, August 8: 8:00- 9:00
Wednesday, August 9: 8:00- 9:00, 2:00- 3:00
Thursday, August 10: 8:00- 9:00, 2:00- 3:00
Friday, August 11: 8:00- 9:00
20 students can be tested per session. Testing is done on a first come first serve basis.
Please make sure that your son/daughter is able to attend one of the baseline testing sessions. Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you this fall.
Steve Longwell, Athletic Director
Eaton High School